Skip to main content

Teacher, Teacher, Can You Teach Me?

I will tell you a story.

Once upon a time, because all good stories start with once upon a time, little Susie came home from school crying. She clung to her mother and sobbed. "What's wrong darling?" her mother asked. "Oh momma (sob) it's awful (sob) Mr. Jones told us today that dinosaurs were alive like (sob) 250 million years ago!" "Oh dear." says Susie's mother. Susie is so upset that she can barely continue "But you, Daddy and Pastor John always say that the whole world was made by God 6000 years ago!!!" (SOB)

So what's a distraught parent to do? Aside from assuring Susie that all of science is wrong that is? Well, the Alberta government has provided that solution in the form of Bill 44. Litigate! That's right, parents can now bring teachers in front of the Human Rights Commission when they make the mistake of saying something in the classroom that goes against their beliefs. Schools have always had their own opt-out programs but I don't think it's ever been a legal or human rights matter. But now teachers have to comb through their curriculum and warn parents ahead of time if there will be material that may disagree with religious beliefs. This makes teachers scared and scared teachers can't be effective teachers.

I know this is old news as this bill was passed into law months ago. But I'm curious to know if anyone will take advantage of this. Does anyone reading this know if there is a way to find out if anyone has used this law to reprimand a teacher? Maybe not yet but perhaps more into the upcoming school year.

So what would I do if my daughter came home crying one day because her teacher started spouting creationism? I would tell her to think critically, do some research and make an informed decision. Maybe even engage the teacher more one-on-one. He/she would likely dig their own grave the more they talked anyways. I once asked a religious friend of mine if she would care if I had a discussion with her daughter about why I am an atheist. She was less than enthused with that idea. But why? I guess she is afraid that her daughter might actually start to question or even maybe to (gasp) doubt. Why is questioning a bad thing? I fully expect that my daughter will be getting information coming at her from all angles her whole life. Maybe things I agree with, maybe not. But I want her to question it all, think about it, and be skeptical of extraordinary claims.

And they all lived happily ever after, ummmm, except the teacher who got suspended. Okay so I lied, it's not a good story. Kind of depressing really. But my story does have a moral.

Teach your kids HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

The End.

Comments

Cold Canuck said…
Geek Note: C-44 is Federal. The C stands for a bill put forth by the House and those preceded by an S stand for a bill put forth by the Senate. Provincially it is simply Bill-xx

Bill-44 is a bunch of amendments. It is the result of round-table politics. On one hand, it does remove a good chunk of wiggle room when it came to discriminate against sexual orientation. When it comes to speaking about evolution - well, the person filing for the civil suit would be forced to prove that their complaint is against religion. Biology class is still biology, unless of course, by some weirdness, board declared biology a religion.
The Bill does have the added annoyance of forcing teachers to send out permission slips. However, to my knowledge, teachers must send out permission slips should a sex ed class be given. So, when there is a religion class, they have to send a note to the parent.
It does share the burden of paperwork though. The parent (or guardian) would have to also send a letter, signed, to the teacher clearly stating that she/he does not want their child participating in the religion class.
I didn't see anything in the provincial judgments for civil suits - though, I'm not sure if a human rights commission would publish their cases in the same area ... anyhow, I only took a brief look. Also, the administration of justice is built upon precedent and I a news.google search didn't bring up any articles documenting a lawsuit against a school board because someone said animals and humans have ancestors :)

Popular posts from this blog

Your Sins are Killing Your Children

"Do you need a healing?" is what the highway sign I passed asked me. Below that was the name Thurman Scrivner and the dates that he would be in town. When I got home I looked up Mr. Scrivner and discovered that he was your run of the mill faith healer. His The Living Savior Ministries website is full of testimonials from those he has "healed". There is a man who had both his legs crushed and a young girl with a severe peanut allergy. But the big one is his granddaughter Katlynn whom I will tell you about later. If you have a lifetime of free time to waste, you could also listen to his over 400 sermons either through the website or by having free DVDs mailed to you. Now I've never been to a healing and so even though I wasn't really in need of one, I thought I would go check it out and see what actually happens at these things. Naturally, I pictured the afflicted people on the stage in a state of rapture having their demons cast out and throwing away their

Are You a Targeted Individual?

I shall dedicate my continuing pseudomedical Cracked series to my dear, sweet, sexy man.  5. QuWave Defender It's okay, you can tell me. I'm not going to judge you. I'm here to help. I know you are a targeted individual suffering from electronic harassment, psychotronic, and psychic attacks. You are not alone. There is hope! For over 60 years targeted individuals (TIs) such as yourself have been trying to escape mind control torture. That's right...TORTURE! These mind control torturers use psychotronic weapons just to mess you up. These weapons are designed to leave you feeling stressed out, disoriented, drowsy, helpless, and paranoid. Yes, because THEY have nothing better to do with their time and money except to make you feel like shit. Celebrating 60 years of fucking with your mind The good folks at QuWave have the solution for you! The QuWave Defender uses BOTH scalar and Solfeggio energies to not only thwart those nasty psychic attackers but to also h

All About Parasites

There are plenty of examples in the world that one could use as mighty fine reasons why intelligent design is a load of bunk. Your appendix, mosquitoes, Honey Boo Boo. Then there are parasites. I can't think of a good reason to create these paragons of ickiness except to give us just one more reason to look up gross things on the Internet to say ew about and make our skin crawl. There are some great ones in the animal kingdom that are just too bat shit crazy for words. An unsuspecting grasshopper could drink some bad water and get himself infected with a horsehair worm which will begin to busily grow inside him (up to a foot long!) until the worm decides he wants out. But he needs to live in water and since grasshoppers aren't fond of swimming the worm simply takes control of the grasshopper's brain, marches him to the nearest body of water, compels him to commit a horrible watery suicide and then casually slithers out of his ass. For real. Out of his ass. The Leococ